Pages

Thursday 1 November 2012

Dear Medtronic.

I love your pump. I really do. But when it comes to the CGM, you guys have got to get your stuff together...





Because I live in Canada, the only CGM I can get right now is the Medtronic Mini-link. I love the data that it gives me. But seriously, the inserter? That thing is like a harpoon gun. Inserting into yourself requires 4 hands and a protractor. Not to mention that the transmitter only connects to the sensor at the front. So, although Medtronic swears you don't need protective dressing, the sensor flops around everywhere without it (enter IV3000).

All of this means that I'm pretty excited about 2 new CGMs that should be entering the market here sometime soon. The last estimate from both companies was before the new year. First, Dexcom, which seems to be the sensor of choice in the US and which I have heard great things about (and doesn't require adhesive dressing). Secondly, the new Medtronic CGM, the Enlite, with an updated inserter and a slightly better design requiring less adhesive dressing. There are a few things that I'm worried about with both of these, but I'll have to wait until I actually try them to decide. And given what the companies have "estimated" in the past, that might not be for awhile!

On another note, today is the first day of Diabetes awareness month! Only a few weeks until International Diabetes Day.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment