Pages

Tuesday 2 October 2012

What's in my diabetes toolkit?

As an introduction to me and this blog, I thought I'd do a post on what tools I've been using lately to help manage my diabetes. I always love reading what tools other people have liked (or hated), so I hope this is helpful to some!

Medtronic Paradigm 722 insulin pump (in purple!)


I've had this particular pump for 2 years now, but the pump that I had for 5 years before that was exactly identical. I can work this thing with my eyes closed (though that's not usually recommended!). It's my most important diabetes management tool and it's great. I'm looking forward to being able to upgrade, though, so that I'll have access to awesome features like predictive alerts.

Mio Sets

I used the QuickSets for a very long time until I discovered these. I love that they are self-contained, I can toss them in a bag, and once you pull the needle out, they're recyclable!

Humalog Insulin


There aren't that many options for fast acting insulin here (humalog, novorapid, or apidra) and this is just the one that works for me. I used Novorapid for awhile, and the results weren't great (funnily enough, my little brother can't use Humalog but does great on Novorapid). I'd like to try Apidra sometime since I've heard great things about it but for now, I'm sticking to what works for me.

Skin-prep Wipes

I also use alcohol swabs for my insulin bottle, obviously, but these clean and make your skin sticky... I hate changing my set early because it's peeling off!

One-Touch Verio IQ Meter


I started using this meter about 4 months ago and I've been loving it so far. I was using a Contour Link previously and while I miss the meter sending directly to my pump, there are so many aspects of the meter I find useful. I love the strip light, the bright, colour screen, the trend alerts, and lots of other things. I will definitely need to do a more in-depth post on this. I also love the clicker and the strips that come with this meter.

Dex-4 Tabs


While I've used lots of different things to treat my lows, these are by far the easiest and most effective. They're also practically indestructible. I love the new Tropical Fruit flavour, but I'll also buy grape, orange, or apple if that's all the pharmacy has. I absolutely refuse to eat watermelon. (If something makes me nauseous when I'm low, there's a problem- I'll eat almost anything when I'm low!)



All of this stuff... It's a good thing there's lots of storage in my residence room!

No comments:

Post a Comment